Mathematics equips pupils with a uniquely powerful set of tools to understand and change the world. It is integral to all aspects of life, and with this in mind we endeavour to ensure that children develop a deep, long-lasting, adaptable and secure understanding of the subject.
Mathematics helps children to make sense of the world around them through developing their ability to calculate, to reason and to solve problems. It enables children to understand and appreciate relationships and pattern in both number and space in their everyday lives. Through their growing knowledge and understanding, children learn to appreciate the contribution made by many cultures to the development and application of Mathematics.
At Warcop CE Primary School we aim to develop:
- A growth mindset about ability to learn Mathematics
- A positive attitude towards Mathematics and an awareness of how fascinating elements of Mathematics can be
- Competence and confidence with numbers and the number system and other
mathematical knowledge, concepts and skills
- Problem solvers, who can reason, think logically, work systematically and apply their knowledge of Mathematics
- An ability to communicate using mathematical language
- An ability to work both independently and with others